Friday, April 11, 2008

Kidney Stones are LAME

I've been dealing with my third occurrence of kidney stones since i was 19. They seem to get worse each time. Early last month, I woke up at 5am in the worst pain imaginable. Off we went to the ER but by the time we'd got there, the pain had subsided to where it was bearable. Over the next month, it came and went. Usually I was at home where I could collapse on the couch and curl into fetal position. I went to the Dr. and they ordered a ultrasound. Results were negative for kidney stones so at this point I was very concerned to what else it could be. On March 22nd, Jaime and I headed out to Belfair to go dirt biking but about half way there, the pain started. By the time we got about 10 miles away from Belfair I was wishing I would just pass out. I called my sister up and had her do an internet search for the closest hospital. She googled it and found a hospital in Belfair. Once we got there, we discovered there was no such hospital. Now the closest was in Bremerton. At this point, I'm convinced this is the worst day of my life. It seemed like an eternity, but about 20 minutes later I was immediately admitted into the Emergency room. After waiting another 30 minutes thinking my kidney was going to explode out my side, the nurse finally got me an IV with some good pain meds that made me not want to die anymore.
I went back to my Dr the next week and she was very confused (I think she thought I was faking to get pain meds even though I NEVER asked for any). She was just wasting my time so I went to a Urologist. He had me have an Xray CT scan, cystoscopy and finally, a WHOLE month after my first kidney pain, someone had some answers for me!! I have 2 kidney stones in my right kidney and 1 in my bladder which was the one that had been giving me hell the last month.
The day after my Urologist appointment, I PASSED THE STONE!!!!

This stone was 6mm which is the biggest I've ever had. If it had been any bigger, I would have had to have medical procedures to go in and break it up. Very scary. I'm hoping the others in my kidney are smaller and don't grow anymore.

1 comment:

The Owens said...

THAT'S SO SICK! And not the good sick! YUCK! That freakin sucks!